Monday 15 November 2010

spaghetti junction

Mainly for a change of visuals, and partly because I was in about this part of the car the other night, here are a few pics of the fuel lines etc for the twin fuel pumps.
I always feel that the only valid work on the car is the welding - as this is the real battle in restoring a car, mechanical work is so much easier and less time consuming - so always focus on that but the bodywork is more than 3/4 done now so, maybe in a few months time, there will be more variety in the postings - when I tackle interior, carbs, brakes etc.






rear left corner of spare-wheel well. this is a changeover valve for the fuel tanks. only one tank is used whilst driving I believe




wider view of same area. metal pipes exiting newly-cut hole in metalwork needed moved out of the way to do the welding




I'm not exactly sure where the pipe/hose unit on right of pic came from but I disconnected them years ago so I'm sure it will be obvious when re-assembly time comes around




RHS fuel pump. I re-built the original LHS one some time ago but this one looks like a later replacement part as it has more modern labelling on it




metal pipe horizontal in pic is actually piece that runs under the car and comes in through hole in front left corner of wheel well, attaching to metal pipe pictured there



this is end of pipe referred to in prevous pic. rubber grommet on top part locates it in hole on wall of wheel well

these are the holes along floor of wheel well which need to be fixed before rear valance can be fitted. rust here actually caused by moisture getting between spot welds of the join. no actual corrosion from inside and very little on outside metalwork in the area
An interesting point about the whole fuel system on the car is that it came off the road back in 1985/6 as there were problems with the fuel system which led to several new OEM pipes being fitted in an attempt to fix the problem (possibly the reason for the replacement pump too). The previous owner never resolved it but one of the first things I did after buying XMC was remove the fuel tanks and, when I poked a screwdriver up one of the internal pipes in one tank (should have noted if it was left or right), a pile of dry mud fell out. I'm guessing back in 1986 that was wet sludge rendering the tank useless and leading to many frustrating hours for mechanics and owners trying to get to bottom of it all. If I ever get the beast running again I will discuss this with Mr Davidson (chap who owned it before me) when I take him for a trip down memery lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment