Monday 8 February 2010

who nose?

The easy part of restoring is sitting in the house searching for parts on Ebay etc and paying for them when you have spare cash and happily opening the box when the bits arrive....

The hard bit is the graft.....especially on cold nights or when your expectations aren't met EG 'I thought it would only take 3 months to rebuild this body not 3 years'.....

Well, I realised this a long time ago and tend to only buy a part needed for the rebuild once the previous part has actually been fitted to the car but this time I haven't as its been soo long since I tackled the sills/valance/wheel arches that I decided to get new repair panels for the front wing headlamp areas:

Parts of my original wing fronts will need to be salvaged as they don't come with the new pressings and this will involve some sand blasting and I will be doing a lot of that this year as my Hillman Imp pick-up http://theonlyhillmanimppickup.wordpress.com/ is joining the Daimler in the barn shortly.

I'd been checking Ebay regularly recently for some Series 2 nose cones but only Series 1 & 3 seem to come up and I was at the point of asking a few USA sellers if they would consider cutting the front off some good second hand wings they are selling cheaply (to cut the shipping costs down) when I found an old JDHT booklet which showed the Series 2 pressings and their part no. which I typed into the Martin Robey search engine http://www.martinrobey.com/jag_parts.cfm and found they were readily available for about £30 but after VAT and P&P there wasn't much change from £90










new Series 2 nose cones. JHP1000 (RH) & JHP1001 (LH)



Anyway, as the title suggests, who knows when they will be fitted? The good news is I have another 'new' welder which is the exact same model as the one i used to have. Things did not look promising when the Ebay purchase arrived as it was so badly packed but I tried it out the other night and I think I may be back in business





there is a second hand SIP Migmate 100 in here somewhere

2 comments:

  1. That's good information. We will be looking for S2 nosecones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys. There is a pretty useful article in issue 4 1999 of Practical Classics magazine (try Ebay) where they show you how to repair the wings with a new nose cone panel. They are adapting a Series 3 repair section to fit a Series 1 (which are strangely more similar to each other than the Series 2 - the indicator holes differ on all three). Apparently you need to do a bit of bracing before cutting anything away which I wouldn't have known. Cheers. Graham.

    ReplyDelete