Thursday 3 June 2010

underneath the arches

I've spent the last few night sandblasting the wings. Initially I was planning to just clean up the headlight area prior to repairing those parts but it made sense to get rid on any rust on the wings whilst the blasting gear was out as it makes so much mess that, once you clean the work area up, you really don't want to be getting it out again......not for a while anyway.
There are a few bits to be done at the front of the car but I did all the underside last summer when the welding gear packed in so its good to think that there is practically no rust left on the car. I've got the whole process to go over again on my Hillman Imp
http://theonlyhillmanimppickup.wordpress.com/
but I don't want to think about that just now! lol
As I said before the wings are very sound and the underseal is largely intact but a bit of scraping around loosened any suspect bits and allowed me to clean the metal underneath. Putting new underseal on will be a joy but I always wonder how the stippled effect was created on the cars originally. It never comes out like this when you brush Waxoyl or similar on.

passenger side front wing headlamp area





any suspect underseal was scraped off and rust underneath sand blasted off



front face not cleaned as this metal being replaced. repair panel shows what can be caut away from original wing








if you open this pic (by clicking on it) you can just make out the join between the wing and nose cone in the original factory pressing

No comments:

Post a Comment